About the scheme
Using advanced technology, SES is an automated immigration clearance system that provides a simple and convenient process where travelers can verify themselves with biometric data such as fingerprints.
Who can use SES?
- Registered Korean nationals aged 7 or above
However, legal representation consent is required for children between ages 7 years old and under 14
- All registered foreigners aged 17 or above
- Korea Priority Card holders/ Foreign crew members having multiple landing permit
- Foreigners whose home country signed a MOU with Korea on the mutual use of automated immigration clearance
(U.S.A., Hong Kong, and Macao SAR)
What is the process?
- Place the passport bio-data page down onto the reader.
- Proceed inside when the gate opens.
- Press the registered finger on the scanner. The monitor displays the registered finger.
- Look at the camera. This step may be skipped depending on the model of the auto-gate.
- Exit when the gate opens.
Where can I use SES?
Incheon Airport, Gimhae Airport, Gimpo Airport, Jeju Airport, Daegu Airport, Cheongju Airport, Busan Port, and Incheon Port
Where can I register for SES?
- Enrollment Center
- Incheon Airport·Seoul·Southern Seoul·Busan·Incheon·Suwon·Jeju·Gimhae Airport·Daegu·Daejeon·Gwangju· Cheongju·Gimpo Immigration Office, Seoul Station·City Airport Terminal
Incheon, Jeju, Cheongju, Busan Immigration Office operates enrollment centers at the office, airport, and seaport
- What to Bring
- Korean nationals should prepare their passport (multiple), Resident Registration Certificate, or Resident ID card, and foreign nationals should prepare their passport (multiple), Alien Registration Card, or Domestic Residence Report
For children between 7 years old and under 14 years old, a Family Relation Certificate, parent‘s passport or ID is required to confirm family relationship.
- Visit the enrollment center in person and enroll for SES
Re-enrollment is required for any changes to personal information such as name or resident registration number.
Eligible Korean nationals 19 years old and above are no longer required to pre-register for SES from March, 2017. However, pre-registration is necessary for those from 7 to 18 years old and those whose personal information such as name or date of birth changed, and is recommended for those who issued their resident registration card more than 30 years ago.
- The following persons are ineligible to register or use SES:
- Quality of biometric data (fingerprints) is not good enough for identity authentication by the clearance device
- Under travel ban according to the Immigration Act (Article 4 Paragraph 1 and 2, Article 4-6 Paragraph 1 and 2, Article 29 Paragraph 1, and Article 11)
- Foreign nationals who have been found in violation of the Act, and was ordered deportation or eviction or paid a penalty of more than 5 million won within the last 3 years
- Others recognized by the Minister of Justice as ineligible to register for SES